Monday, November 01, 2010

77 hours

In honor of the near-77 hours I was without power this week, I'm going to do a seven-quick-takes Monday to get things rolling again.

1. Obviously #1 is the fact that we're celebrating being back on the grid. The massive windstorm from Tuesday and Wednesday went out with a whimper by Friday. After that it was hard to believe it had ever been windy at all. I hauled all of the recently-cooked meals out of my freezers and found room for everything in my parents' deep freeze on Thursday. Then I found room for me, and when my sister and her boyfriend flew in for my cousin's wedding this weekend, we found room for all of us. No worse than Thanksgiving. But I was still glad when Wisconsin Public Service called and texted me on Saturday morning to tell me my connection to the civilized world had been restored.

2. Storms are good for the adrenaline. And they alter circumstances and it's interesting to see how one responds to them and to their consequences. One thing I've learned about myself is that I respond quickly to a sudden change in events and can move through the moment efficiently and effectively. However, once derailed from my original track, it takes me a long time to return to what was "normal" before. Makes going back to regular work rather challenging.

3. The storms were followed by more excitement this weekend. My cousin Erin got married, and Sarah and her boyfriend Scott flew home. I haven't seen them together since they left for California, and it was fun having them around again. When it rains, it pours: Erin's wedding, Scott's birthday and Halloween. Mom cooked up another storm in the kitchen (really, with all of us in there it was ready to be declared a Federal disaster zone, but whether it had been an earthquake or tornado or both is still being debated), and produced two massive lasagnas, garlic bread, huge salads, a carrot cake, two apple pies, and pumpkin ice cream. And whatever candy we raided from the trick-or-treaters' dish. Sarah produced enough friends to help eat it all. High moment from the Halloween invaders:

Scott, dressed as a "Extreme Weather Golfer" greets a young Harry Potter at the door. He then informs Harry Potter that he is actually the Dark Lord in disguise. He insists Harry must tell him a riddle to win his candy. Harry does, and Scott-Dark-Lord doesn't know the answer. Young Harry shouts the answer and, "I vanquished the Dark Lord!" He then kicks Scott in the shins.

4. Tomorrow I leave again for yet another training and meeting. I haven't slept a whole week in my own bed since early October. Last week I could've been in Washington, D.C., for work, but instead was displaced due to a windstorm. I'm beginning to think I should get a hotel perks card. Except now I'm not scheduled to go anywhere until January.

5. I found a wallet that I'd lost a month prior. It was in my office, which is where I thought it must be after having thoroughly dismantled my car in search of it and nobody made any charges to the credit cards. It fell down into a pile of curricula I was supposed to be reviewing. If I'd gotten around to doing my homework sooner...

6. Tomorrow is Election Day. I do have a landline, but am never home to hear it and have only received two robo messages. I share my parents' mailing address, so I don't get political junk mail. I don't watch TV. Ever. I listen to NPR. The only political advertisements I am subjected to are those being constantly covered by NPR programs. If they would just shut up about them I could live in a perfectly happy little bubble.

7. It's 30 degrees F outside and about 50 in here. Why is there still a mosquito in my house?

No comments: